Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

Student Profile: Neeta Kirpalani

Program and year: MBA '10
Hometown
: Asheville, NC
Number of visits to Nicaragua
: 1
Which seminars did you teach? Advanced Operations
Favorite Project Nicaragua memory:                                                                             
Given that this was my first time to Managua, I really enjoyed interacting with my fellow classmates and seeing all our hard work finally brought to fruition. My favorite moment was visiting Catarina in an effort to better understand the demographics of this community, the types of businesses that are present in this area, and also determining whether an expansion of our services into this area aligns with the short and long-term strategic goals of Project Nicaragua.
What was your greatest learning moment on this trip?
I believe that teaching a seminar for the first time was a very eye-opening experience for me.  Needless to say, it is much easier said than done. Through this experience, I have a new appreciation for the teaching profession and how difficult it can be at first to overcome barriers such as language discrepancies or challenges in comprehension.  Because what is learned is only as good as the material that is being taught, I learned how important it is to ensure that deliverables are well-written and translated; culturally sensitive; and accurate.
What surprised you the most about Nicaragua and your experience visiting the country?
I was pleasantly surprised about how receptive the Nicaraguans were – not only in learning the information that was conveyed during the seminars, but also in learning about us as individuals. Their attitudes are warm and open, and I think that that plays a large role in the success of this initiative.
How has Project Nicaragua affected your business school experience?
Having worked in the non-profit sector for five years before beginning business school, I initially believed that the two could not go hand-in-hand, but my experiences in working with Project Nicaragua have disproven that credo.  I am proud to be involved with an initiative that challenges students in thinking “outside of the box,” that is committed to application of what is learned in the classroom, and ultimately, and that provides a mutual benefit, both for us as students and for the community members whom we directly work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment